School Library is one of the rooms that can be access by the all member (Staff, Teacher, student etc..) of the school. The main purpose of the school library is to create learning environment in the school. It is most common and important facility nowadays. School Library is not only a book access room, but it provides psychology support to teachers and students. It is a place where all students feel welcome and encouraged to grow and learn.
Need of Library in school
- It play very important role to create Learning Environment in a School.
- It is houses of Book.
- It support academic of any school.
- It develops reading skill of the student.
- It helps to find more information about any topic more than the text book.
- It develop student self learning skill.
CBSE Norms for a Library in a school
If you are planning to open a new school or running school/s and looking for a CBSE affiliation then you must know that
1. Physical Infrastructure requirement :
Library- minimum size should be 14 m.x 8 m. fully equipped and with reading room facility.
1. The Library should be well equipped and spacious. It should have at least five books (other than text books) per student in its stock subject to a minimum of 1500 at the beginning. It shall not stock notes, examination guides or keys of any kind. In the selection of books, norms or guidelines provided by the Board should be followed and purchases should be made in consultation with the subject teachers.
2. The school should subscribe to sufficient number of newspapers and magazines. At least 15 magazines suitable for students and professional needs of teachers should be subscribed to.
3. The Library shall not contain any book or other forms of literature that espouse or propagate communal disharmony or casteism or discrimination based on religion, regions or language etc. The school should not stock in the library any book disapproved by the Government! Board.
2.Qualification of a Librarian: Graduate with diploma or Graduation in Library Science from a recognized
Junior Librarian: Matriculation or equivalent with Certificate in Library Science from recognized Institute.
Records to be maintain in Library
Expert of Educare India Advisory suggest that Library card method is one the best method of keeping transaction records of a book. Each book in a library is school property so that there should be proper record keeping requires and every book should be sealed and verified by In-charge.
The Following types of registers should be maintained by library In-charge:
- 1. Book stock Register
- 2. Staff and Student record
- 3. Book Issue and return register
- 4. General Stock Register
General Rules for Library in any school
- 1. All students and staff of the school are members of the library.
- 2. A student can borrow only two books at a time for a period of two weeks.
- 3. A staff member can borrow maximum five books at a time for a period of one month.
- 4. Books will be issued to the students, during the library periods. No book will be issued or returned during the teaching hours.
- 5. Marking, underlining or writing on library books, periodicals, and newspapers is strictly forbidden.
- 6. Reference books and current periodicals will not be issued to any member. These can be consulted only in the library.
- 7. If the books are not returned within the specified time it will be viewed seriously and fine will be charged as per rules.
- 8. The Librarian may call for a book at any time, even if the normal period of loan has not expired.
- 9. In case of book is misused, wrongly handled or lost the person concerned will have to replace the book or pay the current market price of the book.
- 10. After reading, make sure that the books, periodicals and newspapers are kept back at their respective places.
- 11. The members should take good care of library furnishings and equipment. Make sure the library looks as good when you leave as it did when you came in.
- 12. Drink and food are not allowed in the Library.
- 13. A ‘No Dues Certificate’ by each student is to be obtained from the Librarian while his/her transfer/withdrawal from the school.
- 14. Strict order and silence shall be maintained in the library and speak softly if needed.
Type of books that is useful for all…..
Periodicals, International News /Information (Time, National Geographic) Books, National News/Information Books, Multimedia Books, Scouts & Guides, Sports & Games, Career, Regional Books Science & Environment, Educational (Competition Success Review, Junior Science Refresher, Competition Refresher, Pratiyogita Darpan (Hindi), Civil Service Chronicle, K.Today, K.Refresher, Biology Today, Chemistry Today, Physics For You, Mathematics Today, Education Today For Ix, Xii, Labour India For Class IX, X, XI, XII), Ncert Publications(Journal Of Indian Education, Primary Teacher, Primary Shikshak (Hindi), School Science), Computer Science/It Books, Scrap Books, Olympiad Question Papers, Newspaper, Olympiad Related Books. Etc…
As per our recommendation for middle school use the given Book List for a new school library setup.
|Library Book List||Download Now|